Sunday, February 7, 2010

How can I tell if my dog is pregnant or is having a false pregnancy?

When I got her I was told she has just had her first heat(she is 7 months old) I have had her now since around the first of January. Her and my male where put together in the yard because she seemed to be more happy with another dog. (I wanted an inside dog)The first week they were together in the yard my husbend noticed her unit was swolen. Two days later the was spotting and then it stoped. I did see him mount her but couldn't see if he had made contact. Now almost 3 weeks later she is more filled out in the back end of her stomach and her nipples are getting harder. She is some what aggressiv with the male now how can I tell is she is pregnant? And is this too soon for her to be showing those signs?How can I tell if my dog is pregnant or is having a false pregnancy?
Gestation is 63 days. Usually the bltch will go ';off her feed'; in the 3rd to 4th week of pregnancy. You may call your veterinarian to see if he/she is willing to palpate (feel the abdomen) her to see if they can determaine if she is, in fact, pregnant. That would need to be done now since the third week of pregnancy is the best time to palpate. If you want to spend a bit more $$ you can have an ultrasound done. Now.... here is the comment of the day..... you could take her in RIGHT NOW and have her spayed. Yes, if she is pregnant it would also ';take' the pups. But it would avoid unwanted pups that may end up in a shelter.How can I tell if my dog is pregnant or is having a false pregnancy?
gestation for dogs is about 63 days. if you are able to fit it into your budget the best way is to take her for an ultrasound. if your dogs didn't lock up then she most likely isn't pregnant. if your female was in esterus(a part of her cycle when she is most fertile) when the deed was done then i'd say you are going to be a grandma!!

No comments:

Post a Comment