Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Help!! How can I find out if I can really sing? I don't want to be one of those people with false hopes.?

I attend a conservatory for voice. I am being trained in opera. I don't know if I truly have the talent to become successful in the future. Should I put a video of myself on youtube to find out? Some people give you compliments just to be nice. I need a reality check. People have said that I have a beautiful voice, yet I have doubts. To their ears it might sound good, but what about in the real world. Do I have great talent? How can I find out?Help!! How can I find out if I can really sing? I don't want to be one of those people with false hopes.?
try the video and ask people what they think of itHelp!! How can I find out if I can really sing? I don't want to be one of those people with false hopes.?
youtube is a good choice or just go on America's Idol...
One of the best things you can learn is how to be objective about your own talent. So, I would make a recording of your voice and listen to yourself. Since you are studying at conservatory, I would ask you to listen to the voices of the great performers and hear the qualities of their voices that make them great. Aim there. Aim high. Try to be as objective as you can and listen to your own voice. You'll often see performers when they are rehearsing wear earpieces or cup their ears - they are listening to the quality of their voice. It is very easy to have doubts and to have fears. Ask your teachers and coaches as well. Sometimes they can be wrong or too critical, but hearing what they say is important as well. What I'd like to ask you is what the audition process is for conservatory, and if you made that grade I think you have a fighting chance - if you are willing to work for it. Accomplishment often comes with hard work and being honest with yourself. I personally would love to hear you...and I wish you the best.
';Youtube'; is not going to get you the information you seek... I assume you want to go into opera since that's what your training involves. Have you contacted any of the regional opera companies in your area? Ask about their ';general'; or ';open'; auditions and tell them you want a hearing. (They may even let you submit a good DVD or video and give you feedback.) A good voice teacher at a conservatory can also help you network this as well. The bottom line is get feedback from opera professionals because they are the ones who will be considering you for singing jobs in the future. Good luck!
Listen to Sistermusic--she hit it right on the nose. If you already have been accepted in a conservatory for voice and am being trained for opera, your teachers must think you have some talent (unless you're enrolled in Jack's Conservatory of Music and Auto Repair Salon). Absolutely check into auditions, regional competitions, etc. Try out for a group like the Houston Grand Opera Studio, whose alumni include Erie Mills, Eugene Perry, Denyce Graves, and Ana Maria Martinez. Let a professional hear you--YouTube is a lot of fun, but you're not going to get the opinion that will really count.
your teachers should be able to tell you, if you look them square in the eye and ask for the truth. They have experience in it.





Don't bother with youtube. The sound reproduction is a nightmare and can never do you justice. Join a choral group. Sing for fun and experience. You'll get the idea as you go, and trust your teachers.
You should get a recorder. They can play back your voice when you sing so you can figure out what parts of your voice to change(or not!)
dont say u cant.if u say u cant then u have a better chance of giving up. there is this girl Holly Stell and she is a great opera singer. look her up. buy her cd. sing to it. thats how i got better. plus dont be afraid of wat other people might say just do wat u wanna do and dont let any1 get in the way. if u say u can do it than u can. go to a local choir teacher. at a middle school or highschool and u can sing for them. they wont be harsh like simon on americn idol but they wont be dishonest. they will tell u wat u need to improve. takenotes and ask wat u can do to improve it.
same, I'd love to you hear you. I should tell you that I will be honest. At the same time, I am not obnoxious or some critic. I only rely on the truth and like to give helpful feedback for your benefit. Just post the link.





Also, be a bit optimistic. It's good to know the truth- it ain't easy. But determination will take you far.
record yourself and upload it to daretosing.com


ask for criticism and you'll get it.
Use your recorder.





Hide it in a room, and invite a bunch of friends over to listen to you sing. Halfway through the song, leave the room abruptly. Don't ask for any opinions at all.


After about 10 - 15 minutes, allow your friends to leave the room, stop the recording, rewind and then listen to what your friends said while you were outside.
i suffer from the same thing...i say that you should record yourself and take it to a vocal coach and see what they have to say and how you can improve....thats crazy you say that because i was just goin through the same issue
One of the big problems that you face is that after a certain level of musicality, it's more about the unique qualities of your voice that make you appealling rather than how well you meet a standard. Some may like your voice, some may not. Classical music is an ugly creature, it's really up to the definite few to decide whether they like your voice or not, or whether you have what it takes... and often what it takes is centered more on an over all image of whether you will pull in money and attention or whether you won't.





I dealt with this same problem for a big part of my life until I realized that I didn't actually want to be in the world of opera- I love operas- and I teach them now to students, and find great value in them- but if you get too close, you get some distortion, you can't see straight in the fog of what's really important and what's not. And before you realizing it, you're selling yourself on the street, begging that the next old lady with 10 million dollars will fall in love with you- and make you a star.... a star, by the way, only to that old lady and Opera News.





If you pursue music, and study and become musical, there will be jobs for you. The world still needs good musicians. But if you aim for some lofty position more for the validation than anything else, you will always fall short until you realize the validation was never real to begin with.
post up the link to the video, here on yahoo answers. ill tell you

No comments:

Post a Comment